8 Tips for a Disney World Birthday
No matter the occasion (even if there is no occasion at all), celebrating at Disney is always fun. But celebrating a Disney World birthday? Now that’s a party! And you don’t have to limit it to one day. If you do a Disney trip that includes your birthday, why not celebrate all week long??
In a place that doesn’t need any extra touches to make it magical, there are nevertheless options to do just that. Some will cost you an arm and a leg, but others are absolutely free! Read on for my ideas on celebrating your birthday at Disney World.
- Take advantage of freebies. In a place as expensive as Disney World, I take special pleasure in getting things for free. If you have a reservation in a sit down restaurant, chances are you will get a free birthday dessert. Recently, this has been a cupcake with Mickey sprinkles.
- Hope for extra birthday magic. Sometimes, Cast Members will give you an extra something if they know it’s your birthday. A server at Cosmic Ray’s Starlite Café once gave my mom a free brownie when he saw her birthday button. When my sister was turning 13, we were chosen as the family to help ‘open’ Animal Kingdom by playing drums right before rope drop. You never know what could happen!
- Wear a birthday button. Ask in the shops or guest relations to get your free button. They’ll even put your name on it! It’s fun to be wished happy birthday by lots of Cast Members. If you meet characters they may comment on the buttons too. I once had Tinkerbell mouth ‘happy birthday’ to me when she was in the middle of a parade.
- Dress the part. Want to be a birthday princess? Wear a crown! Want to be a birthday pirate? Wear a pirate hat or attach a stuffed parrot to your shoulder (or a real one, but you may have to convince security it’s animatronic if you want them to let you into the park). Disney World is a place where wearing silly outfits is always encouraged (as long as you don’t dress in a full costume, as that is forbidden for adults except for Halloween). But this is especially true when you’re celebrating something special, like your birthday!
- Indulge in an accommodation splurge. Usually stay at a hotel or condo off property? Give yourself a birthday treat and stay at a Disney resort, even if it’s just for a night or two. My parents did this at Wilderness Lodge as a surprise for my sister’s 13th birthday. It was magical! It was the first, and so far the last, time we stayed on Disney property. But years later, we still remember it as an awesome experience.
- Book a special birthday package. If you’re staying on property, you can book a special in-room celebration for your Disney World birthday. The staff will decorate your room, so it will be party-ready the moment you walk in the door. You can check out the options on Disney’s Floral and Gifts site. It does, however, come with a VERY hefty price tag. Personally, I think it’s WAAAAYYYY overpriced. You could easily find similar decorations and treats online or make them yourself, for a fraction of the cost. But if you want to surprise someone, ordering the Disney package is a sure-fire way to do just that with minimal effort.
- Have a nice dinner out, Disney style. Many people go out for dinner on their birthday, but only a few are lucky enough to get to do it at Disney World. Intelliguest tip: Have dinner at a resort, not inside the parks. This is especially true if you do not have an annual pass. On a day pass, you’ll probably want to spend every minute you can enjoying the park. If you go to a nice sit-down restaurant, you may feel rushed. Instead, make a reservation at one of the numerous incredible resort restaurants. That way you can devote the whole evening to your special meal. I recommend Boma at Animal Kingdom Lodge– it’s a particular favorite of my family.
- Take center stage. There are a few attractions, such as Indian Jones’ Epic Stunt Spectacular and Enchanted Tales with Belle, where lucky audience members get to participate in the action. There’s no guarantee you’ll be chosen, but if you mention to a Cast Member that it’s your birthday and you’d love to be in the show, they might just make some Disney magic happen!
Birthdays are always a cause for celebrations, but a Disney World birthday is just that much more magical!
What are your favorite ways to celebrate birthdays at Disney?