Tips and thoughts on everything Disney

May 2017 Disney World Journal: Part 3

May 2017 Disney World Journal: Part 3

Saturday morning we arose bright and early to get to Disney Studios by opening time. Unfortunately, I underestimated the amount of time it would take me to get ready with my Leia Disneybound, and we ended up arriving just after opening. It was only 10 minutes after opening time, but Rock ‘n Roller Coaster already had a 40 minute wait time! We turned away in disgust to ride Tower of Terror instead, first on standby and again with Fastpasses. Afterwards we rode Star Tours a couple times. Considering the outfit I was wearing, I was really hoping they would choose me as the rebel spy- that is, after all, exactly what Leia is in A New Hope. Sadly, whoever chooses the rebel spy (robot?? Bored cast member?? Blind frog??) did not consider me worthy of rebel spy status.

If you want the rest of the story, have a look at Part 1 and Part 2 of my journal.

We met up with Mom and went on to Toy Story Mania, which was enjoyable as always. Usually Katrina and I get the same ‘prize’, the beaver. But this time she one-upped me and got a rabbit. Then, we headed back to the condo. We wanted to get away from the hottest part of the day and to give Katrina and me a chance to rest, considering we were both beset with colds. We had the plan of going out to one of the parks later in the day. Sadly, my germs decided to throw a raging party, and the only place I felt up to going was bed.

Bed was where I stayed the rest of the day, and until the afternoon of the next day. But, considering I was flying out the next morning, I wasn’t going to spend all of Sunday in bed when Disney World was so close! Cold be darned, I was going to Epcot. And speaking of Epcot, if you’d like a rundown of my top picks there, check out my post on the Best Attractions at Epcot.

As soon as we got to Epcot we hurried to try to catch a Voices of Liberty show. Unfortunately, the drawbridge trapped us. They raised it at 4 to let the barges for Illuminations pass through. We waited impatiently, knowing that beautiful voices were singing nearby, if we could only get them! By the time we could go past, we made it to the American Adventure only in time to hear the last notes. Luckily, there was one more show. We wandered around the nearby countries, then returned for a gorgeous performance. I have yet to see the Voices give a bad show, and I have seen quite a few by now!

Next, we took advantage of the food booths of the Flower and Garden Show to try Violet Lemonade, Frushi and Shrimp.  The Frozen Desert Violet Lemonade from Pineapple Promenade was gorgeously purple. A flower sat prettily on top. It was refreshing, and tasty. I don’t know what violets taste like, but it did have a certain tasty flavor beyond typical lemonade.

I next tried the Frushi from Hanami in Japan: fresh Pineapple, Strawberry and Melon Rolled with Raspberry Coconut Rice with Toasted Coconut. It was pretty, and I liked how they used sweet alternatives to the typical sushi ingredients. It looked a lot like the savory version- So clever! The strawberries, pineapple and melon were cut like carrot and cucumber, and tucked into the rolls of sweetened coconut rice. It was topped with raspberry sauce, with whipped cream on the side for good measure. To finish off my unusual dinner, I headed to La Isla Fresca. I got the Sugar Cane Shrimp Skewer with Steamed Rice and Coconut Lime Sauce. Good, but nothing remarkable.

While passing Norway we saw that, incredibly, the wait for meeting Anna and Elsa was only 10 minutes! It is regularly over an hour, and almost always at least 30 minutes. Because of that, I had never been inside the relatively new building where you meet them. Considering our Disneybounds for the day, we couldn’t not go in. Several people who had noticed our outfits had told us we HAD to go. It did seem fitting considering just how many people had recognized our Disneybounds throughout the day, both cast members and fellow visitors. In fact, these were by far our most successful Disneybounds yet!

Anyway, back to the Anna and Elsa meeting. The building is cute inside, made up as a home in Arendell. After only a couple minutes, we were ushered forward to meet the sisters. They were quick to notice our outfits, but I found my mind blanking of any witty remarks I might have wanted to say (the best I had was when Elsa asked what our favorite sisterly activities were, and I said building snowmen. Not exactly the height of wit).

We went to Future World and rode Mission Space, the intense version. I always forget just how intense the ‘liftoff’ part of that ride is! We then headed back to World Showcase. On the way, we admired some of the fixtures of the Flower and Garden show. There were LOTS of topiaries of familiar characters, which I quite enjoyed seeing. My mom even managed to snap a funny picture of a lizard crawling over the face of the Tinkerbell one. There were also many colorful flower arrangements, which made pretty reflections in the various bodies of water within Epcot.

Mom had forgotten her phone, and we didn’t have a meeting place set. Luckily, she was able to borrow a phone from a helpful stranger and call our dad (she didn’t have our phone numbers memorized- oh the handicaps of technology!). Our dad texted us to meet our mom after the last Herman’s Hermit’s show. While we were waiting for the show to end, we watched an extremely enthusiastic cast member who was not only unashamedly dancing his heart out to the Herman’s Hermits show, but also enticing any passing guests to join him. I recognized him as the same employee who, after noticing my Anna Disneybound, had quipped that he would have dressed up more if he’d known he would be visited by royalty today.

Sadly, our last day at Disney World was coming to a close…

We headed to Soarin’ for one last ride, foregoing watching Illuminations in order to ride right before closing. It was only the second time I’d ridden it with the new video, and I again found it far superior to the original. Unfortunately, right around this time my ear started hurting intensely. I never had ear infections as a child, so this was new to me. It continued to hurt until sometime around 5am, keeping me awake for much of it. I even snuck into the kitchen at 4am, because I was hungry. Also, chewing somehow helped alleviate the pain.

Luckily, the pain went away before I had to fly home, and did not return during the flight. Unluckily, my cold returned with a vengeance and I was pretty miserable for the next week. I even took a sick day off work, which is my first in the 5 years I’ve been with my company. I’m always sad to leave Disney, but this is by far the worst I’ve felt at the end of a trip.

My only consolation is that, come September, we’re planning to be there once again. I like the summer, but… Come on fall!!

Did you get to try any food you especially liked at the Epcot Flower and Garden Show?

Thoughts on this post? Please leave a comment!

%d bloggers like this: